What we are Proposing for 68-86 Clapham Road
68-86 Clapham Road has gone through several changes over the decades. The site that was originally a Georgian terrace was later demolished to make way for London Coach Terminal and then it was damaged during world war due to bombing in the area. Currently, the site 68-86 Clapham Road serves as a Europcar depot.
We are proposing a mixed-use development on the current Europcar site at 68-86 Clapham Rd where we will bring together Georgian and modern architecture so that the development has both; character and functionality. This development on 68-86 Clapham Road will be comprised of the following elements:
- A new 145 room aparthotel
Aparthotels are self-catered rooms that are tailored for longer stay business and leisure users. The rooms offer more space, independence and flexibility than a traditional hotel. The idea behind aparthotels in this development on 68-86 Clapham Road is providing a home away from home to longer stay business and leisure users. It is not going to be a faceless hotel but a place with real character that can be ideal for more extended stays. This Aparthotel on 68-86 Clapham Road is being designed to have a community-oriented feel. This will reduce the demand for Airbnb rentals, thus reducing illegal serviced accommodations in a residential area.
- A modern new Co-Working space, available to local businesses and residents.
We will be providing a modern new Co-Working space at street level with workspaces which will be available to local companies and business people. A co-working space with an Aparthotel on 68-86 Clapham Road will not only create local business activity but will also facilitate business travellers by providing them with a workspace.
- A café open to the public.
A cafe will also be provided on the 68-86 Clapham Road development which will be open to local residents and office workers.
- Eight new homes
Through this development on 68-86 Clapham Road, Melt Property will be providing much needed affordable homes. We will be developing eight new units on 68-86 Clapham Road building by replacing three flats on the site. These will be a mix of smaller and larger units, well-suited for the residential demand as Lambeth is in desperate need of larger family-sized homes.
- An improved Europcar office with secure basement car parking
Europcar will be staying on the 68-86 Clapham Road site in a new purpose-built office that is better suited to the needs. The new offices will be bigger and secure parking will be made available in the basement.
This development is being planned to utilise the space better and improve the living situation for the residents of 68-86 Clapham Road. This will bring many benefits to the people such as;
- Bringing an underutilised site back into use – At Melt Property, it is critically important to us to deliver something that improves the whole area architecturally. With the development on 68-86 Clapham Road, we aim to do precisely that. We will bring together Georgian and modern architecture so that it has both; character and functionality.
- Generating new employment and revenue for the local economy –This development on 68-86 Clapham Road will bring benefits for the community by generating employment and local business activity.
- Sustainable Development – This scheme for 68-86 Clapham Road building has been developed with a keen eye on the environment. The development will be both carbon and energy neutral through the use of solar panels, batteries and ground source heating technology.
- Protecting existing local homes from being turned into Airbnb rentals – An aparthotel on 68-86 Clapham Road will reduce the demand for Airbnb rentals, thus reducing illegal serviced accommodations in a residential area.
- Improving the safety of the area– We aim to make the building look visually pleasing, but we also keep the usability insight. In this development on 68-86 Clapham Road, we will be improving the safety of the area to reduce crime.
In this development on 68-86 Clapham Road, we aim to restore a historically vibrant site back to its former glory in terms of architecture, usability and affordability. If you have any questions about this development, watch our online exhibition here https://www.68-86claphamroad.co.uk/Public-Exhibition